Thursday, August 22, 2013

20 Cinematography Tips by Roger Deakins


One of the modern masters of cinematography, Roger Deakins, shares his tips on cinematography.

Deakins is best known for The Shawshank Redemption, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Assassination of Jesse James, and Skyfall.  Sadly, he has been nominated for 10 Cinematography Oscars and not won a single Oscar award yet.

He has worked on 11 movies with Joel and Ethan Cohen and five of his Oscar nominations were for Cohen brothers' films.

Below are my favorite tips from him, and you can find the full list at the link below:
20 Tips by Roger Deakins - Burak Oguz Saguner - Blog

You Must Discover Your Own Style

Work Inside Your Practical Limits

I think the most important aspect of shooting documentary is to make use of what light is available simply through your positioning of the camera - and the subject if you are controlling what you are shooting. For me, using extra equipment, whether it was a tripod or a reflector, was usually a distraction and counterproductive.”

"Cinematography is More Than a Camera"

There is No "Right Way" or Expected Career Path

“If you work your way up you might find it easier financially. Also, you will have time to learn your craft and become confident in what you do. On the other hand you may well find youself stuck for some time at one level and find it hard to make the jump from an assistant to an operator for instance. If you try to start shooting right away you may find yourself waiting a long time between pay days. Have you a showreel? Friends that might give you a break? A family that you need to support?

I never assisted. I went to film school and started shooting right away after that. Well, to be honest I couldn’t get work as an assistant so I called myself a cameraman. I found it no easier to get work as a cameraman but at least I felt better about myself. It was probably 6 months before I got my first paying work but it built quickly after that.”

Internships Are Scarce, Learn By Discovery

Know What You’re Talking About

“I think you need to be very familiar with grip equipment just as you need to be familiar with the range of lighting units available; otherwise you might ask for something that is really impractical or might not produce the right result. It is a Key Grip’s job to come up with a technical solution to a task and also the most efficient way of achieving it but it is the cinematographer’s responsibility to know if the concept will work in the first place. I think this requires a general understanding of the equipment to hand and it’s various usage.”

Plan Ahead with Your Crew

It’s Your Job to Find a Way to Work with Others

No comments:

Post a Comment